- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red colored sugar
- Red and green candied cherries, quartered
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and extracts; mix well. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill overnight or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle, about 1/8-in. thick. Cut into 2-in. squares. In each square, make 1-in. slits in each corner. Bring every other corner up into center to form a pinwheel; press lightly. Sprinkle cookies with red sugar and press a candied cherry piece into the center of each.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Yield: about 4 dozen.