A Maid-rite is a “loose meat” sandwich. The first Maid-Rite was opened in Muscatine,Iowa which was a walk-up restaurant. Later, a new eat-in building was opened that featured a “car hop” or drive-in service. This was the first such service of this kind in the United States. Today you can get a Maid-Rite in Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, and Ohio. Each time I would visit the Quad Cities mom and I would go get a sandwich- she loves them. So mom- here is a recipe to make those “loose-meat” sandwiches at home.
1 lb ground beef or ground chuck (at least 15% fat)
1 cup water
1/4 cup beef broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 plain hamburger buns
dill pickle slices
1. Brown beef, use potato masher to help get beef into small pieces.
2. Drain excess fat as soon as pink is gone.
3. Add 1 cup water and 1/4 cup beef broth.
4. Simmer the meat uncovered for 1 hour or until liquid is gone. Stirring every 10 minutes or so.
5. When liquid is gone put meat on bun, top with mustard, onion and pickle.