- 4 cup(s) sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) table salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 cup(s) (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cup(s) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- Assorted liquid food coloring, for decorating
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until well combined. Stir in vanilla. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. On a floured work surface, roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Transfer rolled dough to a prepared baking sheet; chill until firm, about 15 minutes. Cut dough into large rectangles. Place the cut cookies 2 inches apart on both of the prepared baking sheets. To decorate, place a few drops of food coloring on a cookie. Using a straw, gently blow food coloring over cookie. Place baking sheet of decorated cookies in refrigerator; chill until dough is firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until edges of cookies start to brown. With a metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool.