2 c. uncooked oats (quick-cooking or old fashioned work)
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. craisins or other dried fruit
1 tbsp. chopped walnuts
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. skim milk (sometimes I use 2%)
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce (jarred or homemade works)
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 large egg beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray muffin tin or line with paper liners and set aside.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Combine the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg.
4. Add milk mixture to oat mixture and stir well.
5. Using a 2-ounce trigger release ice-cream scoop, add oatmeal to the muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
6. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing, using an offset spatula to loosen. Serve or store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week. Heat for 1-2 minutes in the microwave.
The muffins were a little gooey when done but good flavor. The homemade applesauce was wonderful! True test- see how they hold up for a few days (will they get really dry?)