4 a.m. – that’s what time we actually got home this morning. You see, we flew out of NYC and then had to drive, so we went from the Dominican Republic, to Fort Lauderdale, FL, and then to NYC, only to jump in the car and drive back to Virginia. Yes, we traveled across many countries and states just to get home to a comfy bed. Our trip was great and we have so much to share (good and bad), but we have to unbury the house first so it may wait a little while. For now, we are happy to be home. For those who have never seen some of these types of countries (and I’m not talking about the resort areas), there is a lot to be learned:
1. A toilet seat is a wonderful luxury and I still don’t know how they balance.
2. Hot water is non-existant for showering. And that water is COLD!
3. The electricity goes out at least twice a day.
4. It’s hotter than shit there.
5. Bugs are just a part of it (I’ll tell about the 1.5″ cockroach that ran down my leg later).
6. AC… what’s that?
7. Moli Molado (Ground Peanut Candy Sweets) and Dulce de Coco (Coconut Candy Sweets) are amazing little treats.
8. Family is the most important thing.
9. Clubs in caves are so cool – pictures to come!!!
10. Don’t drive there… EVER! Very scary. As David put it… you get to drive the way you always wanted to (i.e. no laws on the road what-so-ever – worse than Puerto Rico).
These are just our top ten and we’ll have to elaborate on later. You need to learn to appreciate what you do have because many people in the world are not so lucky. These few things were ideas that I never even questioned or even thought of as luxeries before, and now my eyes are wide open. We all need to remember this the next time we are upset that we do not have the money for something. We all have a lot more than you even realize. Please appreciate it. I saw first-hand and the culture shock put me into a tail-spin. But regardless, it is a beautiful place and we can’t wait to go back.